Pixie-Bob News Room

Cat Crazy Newsletter

    

 

A few weeks ago, I wrote to you about how to read a cat food label. I got tons of emails back thanking me for the tips but also asking some more questions. I’ll try to answer some of these questions here and in future emails.

One question was – what is the Guaranteed Analysis portion of the label mean?

This section of the pet food label lists the amounts of each ingredient contained in the food. Typically, the minimum amount of the ingredients is listed and not always the exact amount.

When comparing one product to another, you must take moisture content into account. The ingredients should be compared on a dry matter basis. This means that if 82 percent moisture is present in the food, the remaining items comprise 18 percent of the diet.

The minimum values listed for each ingredient (besides water) should be divided by 0.18 in order to get a dry matter amount.

Now two cat food products can be compared fairly.

Until next time,

Dr. Jon

P.S. There are tons of brands and formulations of cat foods available. Make sure you feed the one that meets your cat’s life stage (kitten, adult, or senior) or special needs such as obesity
© Copyright 1999-2007 Intelligent Content Corp., All Rights Reserved
[-438.767383-]Click Here

Advertisements

December 10, 2007 - Posted by | Feline Health, Uncategorized

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: